Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pistachio-crusted tilapia AND Orange-balsamic green beans with basil

Starting with the Pistachio-crusted tilapia I find it interesting that the facing page to this recipe is last night's dinner! Let's just call these two facing pages "Night and Day". The tilapia was delicious although difficult to make. Getting the nut mixture to adhere to the sides of the fish fillets was nearly impossible. Also, I still wonder why the recipe called for 1 1/2 pounds of fish? That seems like an awful lot of protein. I'm sure Ellie Krieger knows what she's doing, but it did make me wonder. Cooking it in the pan and then transferring it to the oven did create a nice outside texture while preserving it in the oven made the fish flaky and moist -- five stars.

The Orange-balsamic green beans with basil was also just wonderful. I was fortunate to have some olive oil infused with blood orange so I got a major (welcomed) overdose of orange with my preparation. Sneakily, I scraped a few of the cooked pistachios that dislodged from the fish while cooking into the final product (post-photo) to add a bit of crunch. The shallots cooked down nicely and added a great element. The basil, added very little in my view -- it just sort of wilted away to nothing. All said, Ellie Krieger proves once again that her sides and her salads are always SUPERIOR.

No comments:

Post a Comment