Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Orzo with shrimp, peas, herbs and feta WITH Bananas brûlée à la mode with coconut

The Orzo with shrimp, peas, herbs and feta was a superstar dish. Tough to mess this one up too. The onion I had bought was a bit sorry looking when I cut into it so I used a red onion instead. The dish was well-balanced and plenty flavorful with nice lemony notes in every bite. I didn't add the pepper from the recipe and cut the salt in half. Next time I make it I will definitely add more peas and a bit more basil. It's not that the recipe requires these changes, I just really like those ingredients.

The Bananas brûlée à la mode with coconut (making me use all the unusual characters Ellie?) was tasty as heck. It would have been even better but I dropped the frozen vanilla yogurt container into the dish water -- no three second rule there! The coconut was super tasty like you'd expect toasted coconut to be...the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon added some familiar flavoring. Beware though, in my broiler they were well and truly melted in less than one minute.

I've cooked a lot of dishes from the book already and continue to have fun blogging about it. Just today I ordered up a few more cookbooks to give as gifts to people following my progress. I'm starting to think Ellie needs to show up when I cook the final recipe from the book. Bring your waffle iron Ellie and we'll make double-chocolate waffles à la mode! My waffle iron is somewhere in a storage facility!

No comments:

Post a Comment