Monday, January 20, 2014

Pork tenderloin with sweet-and-sour red cabbage and dried cherries WITH Egg noodles with onions, caraway and parsley

The pork tenderloin with sweet-and-sour red cabbage and dried cherries drew mixed reviews. Julie gave it a "Very Good" and I went with a "Pretty Good". The difference is easily traced to a love of Apple Cider Vinegar. I slightly messed up the recipe by shredding the cabbage instead of slicing it (made it a bit messier) and I couldn't find dried cherries at the grocery so I substituted dates (I know, I know!). To my credit I added fewer dates than the recipe called for if using cherries because of the calories! Cherries are really good for you, dates, less so... Back to the recipe, I liked it and would make it again but only with cherries. The tenderloin itself was moist and flavorful and the recipe was super easy to make.

The Egg noodles with onions, caraway and parsley was enjoyed equally between us! First, can we all agree that Caraway Seeds are awesome? I couldn't find whole-wheat egg noodles so I substituted a spinach egg noodle variety. I have no idea if it was a healthy alternative -- seemed likely to be better than standard egg noodles. The caramelized onions were amazing in this recipe, and even though the green noodles piled up next to the bright red cabbage made for a less than aesthetically pleasing plate (Christmas massacre anyone?), the combination was good!

One thing we have learned is to trust Ellie's recommended old pairings. She's pretty smart! Thanks EK!

No comments:

Post a Comment